Feeding Baby Bearded Dragons by Age

Feeding Bearded Dragons

Feeding Baby Bearded Dragon

Baby Bearded Dragon diet is not much different from Adults. Some may argue on the importance of adding supplements along with their food. Supplements may be used, but besides calcium, not really needed.

As long as you’re properly feeding your baby pogona vitticeps, you should be okay.

If you’re worried or not sure, you can purchase prepared meals for your baby dragon. Prepared meals are optimized with the proper balance of vitamins and minerals your baby needs.

Prepared foods should never be the main food source.

Baby pogona diet

Around 20% of their diet should be greens with the remaining 80% insects.

Veggies and fruits

Greens

Insects

  • kiwi
  • papaya
  • melons
  • apples
  • grapes
  • dates
  • peaches
  • apricots
  • NEVER LETTUCE!
  • kale
  • collard
  • parsley
  • clover
  • dandelion greens
  • turnip greens
  • mustard greens
  • Wax worms
  • King worms
  • Earthworms
  • Cockroaches
  • Crickets
  • Mealworms

Picking the Right Feeder Insects

When choosing what insects to feed your dragon, keep in mind the size of your dragon. Insect and pieces of fruits and veggies should be proportional to your dragon.

Feeding baby bearded dragons large insects can harm or kill. Blockage of the digestive system can cause issues with impaction and lead malnutrition.

As a rule of thumb, Feeder insects should never be longer than the space between the dragons eyes.

Before we delve into this, when feeding Baby bearded dragons know that they prefer insects over greens, and may avoid greens all together.

let me give you a huge nutrition tip, Well feed insects equal well feed bearded dragon. “Gut Load” your crickets, locust, etc, with all the healthy greens.

Then feed them to your dragon. It’s kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

What to “Gut Load” Insects with

Like stated earlier, Gut loading is the key to healthy and happy baby bearded dragons. What you load the feeder insects with does matter. Always chose healthy vitamin rich fruits and veggies.

For Example, Here is a short list: Apples, Broccoli, Oranges, oats, mustard greens.

Feeding Baby Bearded Dragons
Feeding baby bearded dragons

Coat Insects in Calcium

Its very important that you provide lots of calcium. Before feeding, place insects into a small container with some powdered calcium. Calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate will work fine. Gently shake them around, trying to get them completely coated in the powder.

How to Feeding Baby pogona vitticeps Insects

Feed your dragon frequently, but don’t over do it. Feed your baby bearded dragon moderate meals 2-3 times a day.

Encourage your dragon to use its hunting instincts, But don’t make it too hard for them to get their meal. Place a couple of crickets, or insect of your choosing, into a feeding bowl. This allows them to move around without becoming too difficult to catch.

Keep Greens available all the time, even if it seems to be a waste. Although your baby dragon may not seem to have an appetite for leafy greens.

It will learn to develop a taste later. Besides providing much-needed nutrients, greens help your baby pogona maintain hydration.

Shred greens into a manageable size and mix.

You may make a small pile of shredded greens for your dragon to munch on. Its easier for your baby bearded dragon to eat and seems to be a bit more appealing.

Mixing greens with very small fruit pieces is a good idea. Clean up what was not eating daily. A clean Dragon Cage is the best way to prevent disease.

Tips:

  • – Separate feeding cage is preferred but not required.
  • – Gut load your feeder insects before feeding them to your dragon.
  • – Feed small amounts more frequently.
  • – Keep greens available.
  • – Never feed insects longer than width between your dragons eyes.
  • – Coat insects with powdered calcium.
  • – NEVER FEED LETTUCE! Feeding baby bearded dragons lettuce can lead to MBD
Scroll to Top